Wednesday, February 22, 2012

a change of mind & .6

I like a clean clutter-free surface, be it countertops or desktops or tabletops.

Since trading in the work place for home place, I have found once again my love for working in the kitchen. I enjoy surfing the net for new recipes to try. I have found my "baker's hat" again.

Here are some of the changes I've made. (I don't have a picture of the toaster tucked back into the corner by my coffee machine but it is the first time in all our married life it has been allowed to be on display!)

My new Dutch Oven. Now that I finally have one, it stays stove top. Not practical to lug this heavy weapon in and out.


I've had my Kitchen Aid for quite a few years and haul it out for use (seldom). After working on homemade pizza and bread baking these last few weeks, it stays.  It kind of makes me feel a little like a Food Network kind of sparrow!

Oven ready, today's Trial #2 homemade pizza crust and sauce. Rates a B+. Keep searching.

This beautiful bowl I found at a garage sale a couple summers ago. I decided to switch it out for my wire basket. The bottom still had the price tag of fifty cents!

Toaster, dutch oven and a mixer makes three items hanging out with me! A girl can always have a change of mind...

And I almost did.

Remember my previous post weight loss of 20? I had lost another four pounds last week so my new number was 24. That loss propelled me on to my most stellar week in eating and exercising yet. I ate leaner and greener. I substituted a yogurt for the Chinese takeout meal. I passed up on my own chocolate chip cookie bars of pure goodness. I was in high hopes yesterday for another three or four pound loss.

Disbelief. On and off the scales several times. This can't be! My new number for the next seven days reads 23.4.

That's a GAIN of .6 of a pound. What??? Did you ever hear a sparrow growl?

Okay, so I was in a bit of a funk all day. Even Scruff hid under the blanket.

I forgot. I forgot that this journey isn't about beating the scales to get to my "perfect" weight. It isn't a race to quickly arrive at a certain size. Instead, it is a lifetime journey about getting fit and eating healthy and whole foods. It is a journey of finding balance in this out-of-control part of my life.

Yesterday a part of me whispered, "Give it up." 

Another part whispered, "Keep at it." 

I haven't changed my mind. New habits are furiously trying to replace the old ones. The road ahead is steep and the battle is tough. But I've got my second wind.

I've a chalkboard to overcome.



Flyin' forward into March,
margi

monkjo@live.com